Downsizing/ Decluttering Suggestions
To help you decide what to move to your new home, try grouping items into these categories
- Items to take to your new residence
- Items to give away to family/friends
- Items to sell
- Items to donate
- Items to discard
Take 1-2 hours a day to sort through one room at a time. Some areas of your home will take more time than others, below are some helpful suggestions.
Downsizing the Kitchen
• Eliminate multiple sets of dishes, pie plates, casserole dishes, pots and pans, etc.
• Eliminate large items (i.e. roasting pans, mixers, serving dishes)
• Take inventory of food and cleaning supplies, try to use them before you move.
• Do not bulk grocery shop before your move.
• Discard any expired food. Keep in mind most spices lose their flavor after one year.
Cleaning out the Bathroom
• Discard any make-up, lotions, medicine, etc. that is expired or unneeded.
• Only take bedding for the size beds you will be moving to your new home.
• Review your new bathroom. Is there a medicine cabinet? Linen closet? Drawer space?
Organizing the Closet
• Eliminate items that you have not worn in 2-3 years, are soiled, torn or otherwise damaged. This includes shoes, ties, purses, and other accessories.